Beef Chickpea Curry Wraps
Let your slow cooker do the work!
- 1 lb lean stew beef
- 1 BPA-free can chickpeas (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp Indian curry paste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime juice, to taste
- Low-fat milk, as needed
- 6 whole-wheat pitas
- In a 2- to 3-qt slow cooker, add beef and chickpeas. In a medium bowl, combine broth and curry paste; add mixture to slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large skillet on medium-high. Transfer contents of slow cooker to skillet and stir in peas. Cook until broth evaporates and mixture resembles a near-dry curry.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, salt, cilantro and lime. If needed, stir in milk to reach desired sauce-like consistency. Stack pitas and wrap in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Spoon curry mixture into centers of pitas, dividing evenly. Wrap and drizzle with sauce.
TIP: For a new twist on these spicy wraps, spread the curry mixture over the pitas, drizzle with yogurt sauce and eat them open-face, like pizza!
Photo and recipe by: www.cleaneatingmag.com
Nutrients per wrap: Calories: 393, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 3, Carbs: 38 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 37 g, Sodium: 367 mg, Cholesterol: 76 mg